What can you do as a parent when your child confides in you?
- Stay calm, gather as much information as possible
- Be clear what your child would like you to do - even if it is nothing. Allow them to have some control over it
- Follow up on any conversation - make sure they know you haven't forgotten but don't labour the point
- Make a note of anything you see that might be useful in identifying patterns
- Be clear what you will need to do if you are concerned they are at risk of harming themselves or others
- Contact a helpline, reputable website or local service like Families First or your GP to access more information if it would help. See suggested links below.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help, much better to deal with issues early than let things escalate